Class Action and Complex Litigation
Cross & Simon, LLC attorneys have extensive courtroom experience and understand the challenges of complex civil litigation, including class action litigation. The firm pursues claims on behalf of people harmed by wrongdoing, bad faith and negligence, and, where warranted due to widespread and similar misconduct, actively pursues certification of cases as class actions under the federal rules of civil procedure.
The firm also advises and represents clients and co-counsel in multi-district litigation, as well as securities class action and shareholder derivative cases filed in the Chancery Court for the State of Delaware. The firm has taken the lead role in these cases, and has also worked together with some of the nation’s premier complex and securities litigation firms to hold parties accountable for actionable conduct. The firm’s attorneys have experience in jury and bench trials, and expedited proceedings, and all aspects of civil motion practice and briefing, all of which are necessary skills to prosecute this type of litigation. The firm also has the skill and resources to engage in protracted and intense discovery efforts.
Notably, in December 2009, the United States District Court for the District of Delaware certified a consumer class action case captioned, Johnson, et al. v. Government Employees Insurance Co., et al., D. Del. C.A. No. 1:06-cv-408, with Cross & Simon, LLC named as lead counsel. Cross & Simon, LLC is counsel in other consumer class action cases and multi-district litigation, including Hart v. Nationwide Mutual Fire Insurance Company, D. Del. C.A. No. 1:07-cv-678-JJF; Jameson v. Metropolitan Group Property and Casualty Insurance Company d/b/a Metlife Auto & Home, D. Del. C.A. No. 1:10-cv-310-GMS; Dungee v. Davison Design & Development, Inc. formerly known as Davison & Associates, Inc., D. Del. C.A. No. 1:10-cv-325-GMS; Xenakes v. Johnson & Johnson, et al., D. Del. C.A. No. 09-503-SLR (as part of In re: Levaquin Products Liability Litigation, D. Minn. MDL 09-1943-JRT).
The firm also serves, or has served as counsel to plaintiffs in shareholder class action and derivative liability cases, including the following representative actions:
- In re Answers Corporation Shareholder Litigation, Consol. C.A. No. 6170-VCN
- In re Capital Gold Corporation Shareholder Litigation, Consol. C.A. No. 5899-VCN
- In re Cogent, Inc. Shareholders Litigation, Consol. C.A. No. 5780-VCP
- In re J.Crew Group, Inc. Shareholders Litigation, Consol. C.A. No. 6043-VCS
- In re Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Shareholders Litigation, Consol. C.A. No. 5644-VCS
- Milton Pfeiffer v. Beazer Homes USA, Inc., et al., C.A. No. 10-1063-PD
- Robert A. Lorber v. ON Semiconductor Corporation, et al., C.A. No. 10-1101-GMS
- Milton Pheiffer v. Valero Energy Corporation, C.A. No. 10-1000-SLR